Air Force Education Benefits

Air Force Education Benefits

The Air Force aspires to help its service members reach their personal and career goals by offering its Active Duty members, reserve and veterans numerous educational benefits to assist them.

Tuition Assistance (TA) program - The Air Force Tuition Assistance is available for current Air Force servicemen who want to pursue a degree while off-duty. This program provides $250 per semester hour of educational assistance with a maximum of $4,500 per fiscal year. The Tuition Assistance can be used to pay for classroom-based or online courses as long as the school is registered and accredited with the program. If you are using the TA, you can pay for your remaining tuition cost with the Top-Up Benefit from the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD).

You can also earn college credits for the courses and duties you performed as part of your job with the Air Force. Furthermore, the Air Force gives scholarships to its reserve with the Air Force ROTC program. This program allows you to earn a college degree while getting your training.

Benefits for Veterans - Air Force veterans can also avail of educational benefits. The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for servicemen who served on or after September 11, 2001. This program can fund your full tuition and fees as long as you are an in-state student in a private school. Out-of-state students can get the equivalent amount of an in-state student. Meanwhile students of private and foreign schools can get educational benefits with a $17,500 cap per academic year. You can use the Yellow Ribbon Program for the remaining cost of your tuition provided you are enrolled with a school that is part of the program. Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits are transferable to dependents of Air Force servicemen.

Montgomery GI Bill - The Montgomery GI Bill can give honorably discharged veterans financial assistance for 36 months. This benefit can be used within the next 10 years after leaving the Air Force. To be eligible, you must sign up with this program and pay $100 for 12 months. The funds you will receive will depend on the current full-time entitlement.