Army Education Benefits

Army Education Benefits

Joining the army is becoming a popular option in order to get financial assistance for higher education. Aside from other benefits, army servicemen can utilize various educational aids to help them realize their educational and career goals. Whether you are in active duty, on reserve, a veteran or part of the National Guard; there are a lot of financial aids that you can choose from.

Tuition Assistance (TA) program - The Army Tuition Assistance is available to the members of the Army, Army Reserves and National Guard who are in active duty. If you want to pursue a degree during off-duty, the Army Tuition Assistance can give you up to $250 per semester hour and as much as $4,500 per academic year. You can utilize this benefit as long as you take your degree in a registered and accredited school whether on campus or online.

Montgomery GI Bill - Another program that will be very useful for Active Duty Members is the Top-Up Duty Benefit under the MGIB program. You can utilize this benefit to supplement your Tuition Assistance.

The Montgomery GI Bill includes the Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) and the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR). MGIB-AD can give you financial support for 36 months that you can use within 10 years after being honorably discharged. Active Duty members can sign up for this program and pay $100 per month for one year. They can utilize the benefits after completing their service obligation. Under the MGIB-SR, members of Army Selected Reserve and the Army National Guard can get financial assistance for 36 months while serving out their obligation. The funding you can get depends on the current amount for full-time monthly entitlement. Selected Reserves and National Guard militia members can also utilize the MGIB Kicker to cover other educational expenses.

Benefits for Veterans - Army Veterans, depending on when they served, can use the Post 9/11 GI Bill or the Montgomery GI Bill to help them with their educational expenses. The Post 9/11 GI Bill can cover your full in-state tuition and fees if you are studying in a public school. If you are an out-of-state student, you will receive the equivalent amount of an in-state tuition and fees. Meanwhile, a private school or a foreign school student can receive up to $17,500 per year. Army veterans who served on or after September 11, 2001, with a total of 90 days in service and were honorably discharged can utilize this benefit. You can apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program to compensate for the difference between the funds you receive and the actual tuition incurred.