Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance

Military Tuition Assistance

Life in the military has its share of sacrifices and challenges. But beinga hero for the country also has numerous benefits, including financialassistance for a college education. Whether you are in active service or aveteran, there are different educational benefits that can help you obtaina college degree.

Tuition Assistance (TA) program- Each branch of the military has a Tuition Assistance (TA) program.Service members in active duty status who want to earn a college educationwhile on off-duty can apply for this financial assistance. TA allows you toget $250 per semester credit hour and most branches have a $4,500 ceilingper fiscal year. The TA program is available either for classroom or onlinecourses as long as it is offered by accredited schools.

GI Bill®- The GI Bill® is another great benefit from the military. The main purposeof this bill is to help the military servicemen adapt to civilian lifeafter military duty. The GI Bill® can aid in funding your college educationand propel you into a new career. Depending on when you served, there are afew different GI Bill® options.

o Montgomery GI Bill® - If you served before September 11,2001, you can utilize the Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) to help pursue youreducational goals. There’s two different programs that fall under MGIB:Active Duty and Selected Reserve. Each has its own requirements. Ingeneral, the MGIB can help you fund your tuition for up to 36 months andcan be used within 10 years after discharge from service.

o Post 9/11 GI Bill® - The Post 9/11 GI Bill® is availablefor those who served after September 10, 2001 and discharged honorably withat least 90 days of cumulative service or at least 30 days with adisability discharge. The Post 9/11 GI Bill® can cover your full tuition infees if you are an in-state student in a public school. If you are anout-of-state student, you can receive the amount equivalent to the in-statetuition and fees at that school. However, if you are attending a privatecollege, you can receive a maximum of $18,077.50 per academic year.

In general, eligibility spans 15 years from your last period of active duty— of which you must have served at least 90 consecutive days. You mayreceive up to 36 months of entitlement. In addition, what’s unique aboutthis program is that unused educational benefits under the Post 9/11 billcan be transferred to the spouse or children of service members. Thosequalified applicants can also take advantage of the Yellow Ribbon Program.

o Forever GI Bill® – The Harry W. Colmery VeteransEducation Assistance Act of 2017, also known as the “Forever GI Bill®,” isthe latest program that will be available to veterans enlisting afterJanuary 2018. The biggest thing to know? It eliminates the 15-year timelimit on the use of education benefits. So, if you’re seeking highereducation after three years of active duty service, there are nouse-it-or-lose-it limits. In general, the new GI Bill® takes a looserapproach to eligibility than its counterparts and further supportsrecipients enrolling in STEM-based degree programs, as you can receiveadditional funds.

o Yellow Ribbon Program – This program is in connectionwith the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and the Forever GI Bill®. If you are anout-of-state student or studying in a private school, you can use theYellow Ribbon Program to pay for the difference between your tuition andthe financial aid you received from the GI Bill®. To utilize this benefit,it’s important to be enrolled in a participating school.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)- The military also offers educational assistance for the military spouse.One of these benefits is the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts(MyCAA). Many spouses of service members on active duty qualify for thisbenefit. MyCAA allows you to receive up to $4000 in total for the durationof your educational program. You can utilize MyCAA to fund many associatesdegrees, certification courses or licensure courses. It is not availablefor higher-level degrees.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at